Madison Public Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Department of State. We offer passport processing and photo services.
Passport Service Hours
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY:
9 a.m-7 p.m. Monday – Friday
9 a.m-4 p.m. Saturday
The passport application process will take between 20-60 minutes per applicant. To insure there is ample time to complete the process, please arrive at least 30 minutes before the passport desk closes. More time may be needed for complex cases involving citizenship, parental guardianship, or last-minute travel.
If the passport agent believes the process cannot be completed before the Library closes you may be asked to return at another time.
The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.
How to Apply
You can find full passport application details on the State Department website, travel.state.gov. You can also call the National Passport Information Center at 1.877.487.2778.
If this is your first passport, you must apply in person. You need:
- A completed unsigned application for passport (Form DS-11) filled out in black ink
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Current proof of identity
- One passport photo
Additional documentation is required for minors under the age of 16.
You can also watch this video on how to apply in-person for an adult U.S. Passport.
There are several different passport fees that may apply. Some fees are paid directly to the U.S. Department of State and others are paid directly to Kirtland Public Library. For more information about fees and how to obtain a passport please visit travel.state.gov.
Execution Fee: $25.00 for each new passport, payable by cash, check or money order to Kirtland Public Library.
Passport photo Fee: $10.00 payable by cash, check or money order to Kirtland Public Library.
Renewing your Passport
If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you must apply by mail. Renewal forms (DS-82) are available online through the State Department website, travel.state.gov, and at Kirtland Public Library.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take to receive my passport?
Routine application processing takes 4 to 6 weeks. An expedited service is available for an additional $60 fee, which reduces the processing time to as little as 2 to 4 weeks.
- How do I renew my passport?
If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you must apply by mail. Renewal forms (DS-82) are available online through the State Department website or at the Library.
- Where can I get a copy of my Birth Certificate?
If you were born in Ohio, visit the Ohio Department of Health’s Vital Records page https://www.odh.ohio.gov/vs . If you were born in another state, check The Center for Disease Control’s webpage for links to each state’s vital records contact information and website. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm
- Can I get a passport for my child?
- For all children under age 16: children must accompany you to apply for a passport.
- All applications for children under 16 require both parents or legal guardians to be present during the application process.
- Birth certificates must be submitted for all children to parental relationship (even if the child had a previous passport).
- For all children age 16 to 17: the minor must appear in person.
- Where can I get information about the status of my application?
Status information is available through the National Passport Center, 1-877-487-2778.
Visit the U.S. Department of State’s passport information page https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/contact-us.html for more details and special circumstances; call the National Passport Information Center at 1.877.487.2778; or call the Library at 440.256.7323.