As part of our general mission to serve as a community resource, offering lifelong enrichment through ideas, information, interaction and creative participation, Madison Public Library is providing a Create Space. This space will provide library patrons access to various new technologies and traditional arts and crafts that support their educational and personal goals and endeavors and the mission of the library.
Click here to view the general guidelines to use the CreateSpace@MPL.
Click here to view the current costs to use the CreateSpace@MPL.
What is Currently Available:
The Accucut saves time by allowing multiple sheets of paper to be cut into a variety of shapes and letters. It also has capability to cut single sheets of polyfoam and felt one at a time.
The Cricut Expression cuts paper and vinyl using cartridges loaded with a wide range of shapes from simple to intricate. These pieces can then be further resized in the built in screen interface on the Cricut.
The Cricut Explore Air uses digital cartridges linked to a personal Cricut account. Its main interface is within a web browser, allowing for editing a project anywhere – even mobile devices! Even more exciting is the ability to upload custom images and patterns to be cut out perfectly.
The Cricut Explore Air requires a computer and a Cricut account. Laptops can be checked out from the library but a patron must have their own Cricut Account.
Create custom 2-1/3” buttons in seconds with the Button Maker press.
Cold Laminators for letter and legal sized documents.
AND COMING SOON TO A MADISON LIBRARY NEAR YOU: Laser Engraver with Rotary Attachment!
CreateSpace@MPL users must have a library card and a signed equipment waiver.
- Patrons wanting to use the Create Space must come to the public services desk to check-out desired equipment.
- Staff is available to assist in explaining operation of tools and equipment, and will make available upon request materials such as manuals if they are available.
- Patrons with disabilities who need special arrangements or accommodations are requested to notify staff as far in advance as possible before their expected time of use.
- Projects and materials may be subject to approval by staff prior to use of machinery.
- Tools and equipment are available to makers on a first come, first served basis and may not be available if in use for patron training by a learning coach. Please call ahead for machine availability.
- The library does not accept responsibility if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly, or does not work.
- Use of the Create Space is free. Use of some equipment and materials, however, may be subject to a fee.
- Some machines require the creator to bring in his/her own materials for use. Staff must approve all user-supplied materials before they are used on equipment, to reduce risk of damage to equipment or harm to users within the create space.
- All equipment available in the Create Space must stay within the library.
- The library will not refund any monies paid out for consumable material, in the event that a project is not completed to the creator’s satisfaction.
Create Space Behavior Expectations
- Madison Public Library’s Behavior, Technology, and Unattended Child policies apply to the Create Space.
- If a creator sees that any tool or piece of equipment is unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the creator must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify MPL staff.
- The creator must report any accident or incident that occurs in the Create Space to a staff member.
- If you see unsafe behavior by anyone, please let staff know.
- Tools used must be returned by the creator to their original location in a clean state. The workspace also needs to be cleaned before the creator leaves.
- The creator agrees that MPL is not responsible for any manufacturing defects or the quality or workmanship of any of the tools, materials or equipment supplied by MPL, or for the quality or condition of a user’s project.
- The creator agrees to take precautions to avoid causing unnecessary mess or damage in the Create Space or to equipment.
- The creator (or, if a minor, his parent or guardian) is responsible to pay any charges or fees for use of equipment, material and supplies provided by the library, and for all loss or damage to library property or clean-up expense. The library is not responsible for any damage to, or loss or theft of, the creator’s property.
- Creators must save their work on an external memory source — external hard drive, CD, DVD, or flash drive.
- It is the responsibility of the creator to delete and/or remove any files (digital or print) from the library equipment in the Create Space. The library is not responsible for equipment or files (digital or print) left behind by creators.
- Creators may not use the Create Space equipment to create any object (s) that:
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, obscene, or racially or ethnically objectionable;
- is intended to physically harm, or attempt to harm, an animal or person in any way;
- infringes upon a patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party unless consent from the rights-owner has been obtained. The Copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Tool and Material Donation Guidelines
Madison Public Library accepts new or gently used donations of the following items:
- Tools in clean and good working condition
- Consumable material that is relevant to programs being offered in the space
Donations are greatly appreciated. Staff reserves the right to decline donations as well as remove those that no longer support makerspace activities.
|COLD LAMINATION (LETTER)||.05/inch|
|COLD LAMINATION (LEDGER)||.05/inch|