Home » Lost and Found Policy
Madison Public Library is not responsible for the security of personal items brought into the library. Unclaimed items are managed in accordance with the following guidelines:
- If the owner of a lost and found item satisfactorily identifies the lost item, the item will be returned.
- Perishable items such as, but not limited to: food, baby bottles, beverage containers and personal care items will be disposed of immediately.
- Lost and Found items will be dated and stored for a period of fourteen (14) days. Reasonable attempts will be made to contact the owners (to the extent ownership is known) to reclaim their lost items. Items not claimed within fourteen (14) days become Library property. Unclaimed items will then be donated to charity, considered a donation to the library, or discarded. Unclaimed Currency or equivalent will be added to the library’s General Fund.
- Certain types of property including unclaimed identification documents, driver’s licenses, credit cards, wallets, laptops and cell phones will be forwarded to the Madison Township Police Department.
- Flash drives left in the library will be held for 14 days. Due to patron privacy library staff will not access data saved on flash drives to determine ownership. After 14 days, flash drives will be wiped and discarded.
- Documents left in library copy machines and scanners will be kept for 7 days then shredded.
- After fourteen (14) days unclaimed books will be given to the Friends of Madison Public library for use in their book sales or will be added the library collection.
Approved by the Madison Public Library Trustees 12/12/2017 Approved